Sunday, May 26, 2013

One mans junk is another woman's treasure!

I used to hate garage sales.. but now having a new home to furnish and the expense that comes with it has changed my outlook on life! With pintrest being the  2nd love of my life, it is so easy to learn how to refurbish something old into something new!

My living room was starting to drive me nuts, I enjoyed the clean boring-ness of it long enough. ( Or the lack of decorations let's say) I decided I needed to be an adult and have a coffee table.

I wanted something not to big, not to bold and definitely not to old. Something with clean lines where I could lay just a little something to tie the room together. Yesterday, I found it! At a moving all things must go sale!

 
 
As you can see from the BEFORE picture, it is a bench table. In the dark colour of Brown with nice clean cut lines. It also has side pull outs on each side! SCORE! I am not one to barter... I see a price and pay it. That is one reason I like sales, I don't have to pay retail or barter to decrease the price. This coffee table was priced at $50.00, my Dear hubby went to the lady with $40.00 in hand and some how walked away with my treasure!
 
 
I stopped at a local fabric store and found this thick, satin finished charcoal grey fabric for $3.00 a metre. Well you can't even go wrong! I scurried home, had hubby assist with dismantling the bench cushion. I stapled the fabric on and VOILA!
 
Because the wood was already painted a deep brown, it took nothing to cover it with black spray paint. A short sanding and wipe down, two coats of black satin spray paint and complete!
 
 


Now my living room feels complete! Oh except two things... and surprisingly my hubby is game! I want a Glass or porcelain owl ( about 10-16 inches tall) to sit beside the wine stand up against the black wall.  And hopefully a nice canvas on the wall above the black couch.



 
 
So far it feels complete! I feel like my living room is homey, trendy and warm!
 
Cheers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment