Tuesday, May 7, 2013

On the GO Breakfasts!

As a busy mom... Breakfasts can be a blur! I often try sit down and have two eggs with toast ( multi grain of course, need that fibre!) but on days like today I chose some extra sleep over my morning cooking. Not always the best idea however I found some healthier choices for on the go!

One of the easiest ways to go is for a quick shake! I have found a new shake powder that I quite enjoy. The flavor is not "proteiny" like at all, and comes in a few different flavours. You can get this Vega Protein powder in the Natural section at Superstore in Vanilla Chi, Chocolate or Berry.

This flavour only has 93 calories, a full 10 grams of  protein and only 1 gram of sugar! That's right 1 gram of sugar! I throw in a banana and 10 oz of milk... Bam sweet filling breakfast in a glass for 303 calories!
 
 
 
I sometimes hate having to clean my blender in the morning.. so Ill treat myself to breakfast out. This is rare but I have found two breakfast items at Tim Horton's ( my favorite go to coffee place) that are surprisingly healthy.
 
Tim Horton's Egg and Cheese Breakfast sandwich on a English muffin is a great fix to that need for a fast food breakfast. Thankfully they do not fry their eggs and just toast the muffins, so there isn't the added fat that other restaurants tend to have.

Serving size - 128 g
Calories - 280
Fat - 11 g
Carb - 32 g
Fibre - 1 g
Sugar -2 g
PROTEIN - 14 grams
Sodium-700 g.. ok so here's the crap part.. the sodium! However, compared to the rest of the sandwiches at Tim Horton's, McDonald's and A&W this is the best bet. Increase your water intake for the morning and that sodium will be gone!

Tim Horton's PLAIN Oatmeal.

( I didn't know you could get their oatmeal plain till today... I always thought you had to order the mixed berry or brown sugar type which all have TONS of sugar)

Serving - 291g
Calories- 160
Fat - 2.5
Carb - 32
Fibre - 4
Sugar -5
Protein - 5 grams

If you choose to go for the mixed berries or maple, you increase your sugars at a minimum of 10 grams per serving.


All of these options are also less than $4.00/serving. So the next time you are in a rush for breakfast and think there are no healthy choices or cheap choices out there.. think again!

Cheers!





 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment