Thursday, August 23, 2012

Two days till the RACE!

Well.. I signed up for a earlier race than I was going to be prepared for. I knew that if I waited till the September 29th race I would be completely finished and had ran a few 5 kms prior......

But I decided why not push myself into a race that I likely wont be ready for. So I did.. Get Active 4 Autism.. Its a fun run and all proceeds go into the Regina Autism Resource Centre. I have been very blessed with two healthy twin girls and feel that if I can assist with any family that may need such a resource centre, I can do that! 

However.. I still have to run the 5 kilometres.. I'm at Week 6 Day 1 in my run program. So 3 full running weeks away from running a full 5 km with no stops. At this point I cant see myself even running 20 minutes - 30 minutes straight. I found the 8 minute stretch tough.. I went out last week to do my W6D1 run (two 10 minute runs) and HOLY CRAP! That's tough! So definitely got defeated instantly! I figured that I had better figure out how I was going to have to figure out what running a full 5 km's was like.

Sunday night .. I arose to this challenge.. I got a new running app for distance Nike + Running. It has a GPS that allows to track my run and provide me distances. I found the Nike+ with the foot sensor was constantly inaccurate. One run was shorter then the same distanced run next time. Which was really quite annoying for someone who is looking at increasing your distance.
Ok so now I'm ready.. Water bottle with Nuun electrolyte tablet and my Iphone apps ready! Here I go... I'm on my 5 minute warm up.. then 8 minute run.. 3 minute walk and so on till I complete my 5 km..

Half way into kilometre #2 running into the wind.. I lost my motivation. I fell apart. I couldn't keep a positive thought in my mind. I changed up my 8/3s to 8/3 5/2 to then just screw it I'm walking home! But I powered through and just ran and walked off and no no real structure. I made it to the furthest point then I had EVER made it.. and looked at where I was and thought HOW DID I GET HERE!??!

I turned around.. and thought ok only 2.5 kms left.. you can do this.. you have to get home somehow! So I did.. I just ran till I couldn't.. then walked.. then ran then walked.. I got to kilometre 4 and thought I have to finish this strong.. So I ran it.. stopped once walked 100 ft and started again and FINISHED!

I finished 5 km.. AND in 2 minutes better time then Nike + said I would.. Yea.. I kick its ass!!


I went on a 1 km run the other day.. completed it in 10 minutes.. hoped for 9 but I had a kid with me and well I could have set myself up for better time but I finished it!


Saturday is the Get Active 4 Autism run. Ill finish.. no matter what I'm going to finish and I hope in 50 minutes instead of 52... I've raised $200.00 as of today for their cause and CANNOT wait for my first EVER race tshirt!!!

Check back to see how I did!!

Cheers!

1 comment: