Friday, July 5, 2013

Moose Jawg - Canada Day 5 km Race!

I had applied to the Moose Jawg race assuming I would be running the 10km part of this race.. Unfortunately that didn't happen. It wasn't due to lack of training but to some issue I am finding with my lungs. About a month ago I noticed that anytime I was running or out doing cardio under the great blue skies I would have shortness of breath and some discomfort in my chest. At this point, I was down 25 lbs and really confused by all of this. Our health care here isn't awesome.. surprise! Canadian health care isn't all that it is cracked up to be. I have been trying to find a family Dr. for months. I had one.. and she just spontaneously disappeared. So I am resulted in going to a medi clinic, the Dr. gave me ventolin inhalers which seems to be assisting. ( However, the Dr. just told me to lose weight and it would go away.. I'm going to drive 2 hours to my old family Dr. next week to see what can be done)

So I opted out of the 10 km run and continued on with the 5km. I had heard numerous wonderful things about this race, it is through the beautiful Wakamow valley in Moose Jaw Sk. Monday July 1st came and I was ready! The heat.. oh my.. I am NOT a heat and humidity gal at all! It was 25celcius by the time I finished the race, very humid from the river and NOT a breathe of wind. We started at 8:30 am, I wish we would have started at 7 am.
As you can see the route is all over, you go out and back and down and back. I found at the bottom loop in that heat, it was easy to get lost. There was only one station within 2.5 km and 4 kms through the bush. Yes it was pretty, but dangerous for anyone who had gotten heat stroke and couldn't figure out which turn to take and when. With the heat, I barely ran kms 2.5 to 4. I kept my time under my worst.. so that was a plus. No personal record but I did have a good time. I finished in 45 minutes which was 6 minutes longer than I had wanted, but the heat kicked my ass!

The swag we got from the race was pretty kick ass too, a nice tech t-shirt, some coupons ( one of which I used for a pair of compression calf sleeves) And the breakfast was wonderful! My whole family enjoyed the meal and it was very well organized.

The things that make a great race:
- great route ( easy to run, easy to figure out and lots of scenery) 3 out of 5
- great swag 5 out of 5
- great post race snacks 5 out of 5
- great timing for race 3 out of 5

Overall : 4 out of 5

Do you have a race in Canada or the USA that is a must run? If so, why is that?!






No comments:

Post a Comment