Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Scales.. OVERRATED

I once read a blog (or numerous times) http://www.rebirthfitness.co/throw-away-your-scale/ about not weighing myself.. Well now you know us women do covet a scale, it's like a piece of our world that validates who we are.This has been embedded in us from the point of entering junior high school and seems to be something that continues for years and years to come. We are always focused on that number.. how it makes us who we are. Even if we went to Scales Anonymous.. we would lie about the number there and go as far as saying we didn't step on a scale in the last week when we all know....We jumped on it at the gym.. or at our friends house in their bathroom.


In the last six weeks, the scale only shows I am down 8 lbs. Ok that's bizarre. I work out at the gym 1-2 days a week ( dependent on travel for work) and hit the trails running 2-3 days a week. I noticed that my size 20 jeans are way to big within an hour of wearing, my size 18 dress pants are all really baggy and my tight XL shirts are actually looking much better and not like I have had to pour myself into them.

So I'm down a total of 17 lbs ( and at the top of those 17 lbs I was barely fitting into my size 18 pants) and my scale has barely moved with the change to nutrition and increase to activity. However, I haven't fit comfortably into a size 16 since I before I was pregnant with my twins. I bought myself the first time ever a size 16 denim skirt and it fits fantastically! I also got myself into one of my favorite pairs of size 16 dress pants. One more inch to go and the other pair of size 16 pants will also fit me quite well.


6 weeks.. total of 17 lbs down in the year 2012 and into my size 16 pants.. When I got pregnant I was 15 lbs lighter than I am now, not near as active or strong and in the same pants I wear now.

Don't throw out your scale that will drive you nuts.. but measure your body for inches changed..measure your progress in a diary.. by increasing the weight at the gym and finding that running most of a 5 km without walking isn't as killer are previously... THOSE are the things that shows your change.. Not the scale!








No comments:

Post a Comment